Friday, March 13, 2009

March 9th western OK night supercells

Started the day off at work in Jenks, OK. Worked for a few hours, then begged my bosses to let me off early(thanks Eagle and Joshua). My target was the Weatherford area but people were trying to talk me into going to the KS/OK border. I decided to take 75s to 40w to keep focused on my South target. I had been having some car troubles for about a week, and I thought I had it fixed. As I neared the Okeene area, my tahoe was still having trouble so I stopped and had my fuel filter changed. After a few miles, same spitting and sputtering came back. So I did some internet research, and decided to replace my crankshaft position sensor. I bought a new one, found the old one, took it out, and half of it broke off inside the crankshaft. AWESOME. So I went back into the autoparts store, and bought some things I thought MAYBE could be used to pull, pry, or squeeze it out. After wrestling, screaming, cursing, and pleading with it for 30 minutes, she came right out. So I plugged it all back in, and headed W right at sunset, and the storms had just started cookin. I met my first cell of the day near Amber, OK and the structure was amazing. I wish there had been more lightning, but the cell was weakening. She had an amazing mothership structure though. Here's a picture of the early stages of that storm

I decided to just North to catch the next cell near Union City. As I neared the storm, the lightning was intense and the supercellular structure made my mouth water. I caught the storm a few miles East of Union City, and just as I set up the camera, the storm weakened and the lightning died off. I was very angry but the structure was still very beautiful.

As this cell weakened and drifted over the OKC metro, I dropped S to Minco to wait on the next storm. It looked good in the distance, but weakened as it got closer, and was outflow crap by the time it got to me.

So I shot some pictures, and headed to Yukon for some late night Wendy's action. While chatting about the weather and chasing with the dude working the drive through, lightning struck a transformer about 1/2 a mile in front of me. It was awesome. I pulled into a parking spot to eat and watch the lightning show. Before I could even put it in park, another bolt hit a transformer about 200 yards to my right, showering sparks onto Garth Brooks BLVD. It was awesome. I finished my dinner, and headed to Stillwater. A small LP supercell blew up near Guthrie and was drifting off to the NE So I tried to catch it. Every few minutes, it would spit out a monster CG from the base of the storm, and she was a beauty. I finally got to where I could take some pictures, but she was too far away and the lightning was obscured by BS clouds between the storm and I, so I headed on to Stillwater to sleep. It's always nice to get out and chase, but the storms all seemed to weaken as they were getting going. Low instability-high shear days suck.

334 miles.

2 comments:

Lanny said...

Mike....was it you that posted on my blog?

DM said...

Scantlin update your blog already.